And none of that "if you had a Mac you wouldn't have these problems". No. We bring Apple to it's knees here in our studio.
(That being said, Final Cut Pro is objectively better than Adobe Premiere).
I think I figured out the crashing thing on my audio computer. It might be that I was assigning the outputs for my left and right rear speakers to the same outputs as my left and right speakers. This lets me hear levels correctly, I just have to "guess" the sound-stage. Yes, I'm aware of the pitfalls. But I do it anyway.
Now I just don't listen to the rear speakers. I could hook them up. And I will... eventually. I just want to finish this round of mixes. So I guess the final output and I monitor in mono. Ahh... mono.
I'm monitoring as -20dB FS at 72dB SPL (um, I forget, either "A" or no weighting with band-limited noise). Nobody cares. I'm just complaining...
Update: the "out of memory error" is not solved by that "fix" I did. I've never had this problem before. I have no idea what's causing it.