I found these appalling instructions for getting After Effects to stop making that loud ringing sound when it finishes a render. Obviously it's vastly easier to do on a PC than a Mac. Still, wouldn't it be nice if the stupid sound were an option?
- Copy your After Effects Application. If you mess up and you want to go back to the "prrrrllling", you will still have the original and won't have to reinstall AE.
- Export the sound file you want to use from Quicktime as a System 7 sound. Open this file with ResEdit, open the SND resources, copy the ID 9 resource. Get ResEdit here.
- Open your AE application copy.
- Find the SND resource and double click.
- Paste ( command-V) your new sound. Delete the original resource with ID 128.
- Get info on your new sound resource (highlight and command-I), rename something like "Rendering Completed - new", give it the ID 128. Click "purgeable". Save.
- Listen to your new sound by highlighting ID 128 and selecting "Try Sound" from the SND pulldown menu on the top of the screen.
- You can do the same with the "Baaaaa!" if you want. It's is located in the same folder.
- Make AE present a polite apology instead of the "Baaaaaa!". Download Quickspeech, to create any text file into a quicktime file using Speech Manager.
AE will play the following files instead of the default .wav files if these files are placed in the \aftereffects\prefs directory.
I made mine silent wave files, so now I don't hear anything after a render is completed.